Blender FBX export to UE
How to export Ready Player Me Avatars from Blender as FBX for use in the Unreal Engine SDK.
- 2.Open Blender on an empty scene.
- 3.Select File>Import>GLTF 2.0 and then select the .glb file you downloaded.
- 4.Wait for the import to complete and the model to appear in your Blender scene.
- 5.Select File/Export/FBX. The Blender File View window opens.
- 6.Notice the Operator Presets on the right.
- 7.Adjust them as shown in FBX Export Settings below.
To include generated textures:
- Set Path Mode to
- Click the icon next to the Path Mode dropdown so that it changes and is highlighted blue. This enables texture embedding.
- Set Apply Scalings to
FBX Units Scale.
- Uncheck Apply Units.
These settings prevent import error warnings about smoothing. Nothing actually breaks!
- Set Smoothing to
- Check Tangent Space.
- Uncheck Add Leaf Bones.
Before you import your FBX file into Unreal Engine, you must upload the exported FBX to Mixamo and then download it again. This is because Mixamo applies modifications to the skeleton structure/transforms that make it compatible with the Mixamo animation library.
Without this step, there will be UE import errors that make the FBX file incompatible with the Ready Player Me reference skeleton and animation blueprint.
- 2.Click Upload Character and upload the avatar FBX you have exported from Blender.
- 3.Follow the prompts until you see your model in the 3D preview.
- 4.Click Download.
Drag the FBX into your project and adjust FBX Import Options, then Import.
- Set the Skeleton to use
- Under Advanced, check Import Morph targets if you require them.
- Under Miscellaneous, check Convert Scene Unit to ensure the mesh is imported at the correct scale.