Blender FBX export to UE
Export Ready Player Me avatars from Blender as FBX for use in UE.
- 1.Download the avatar .glb file you want to use.
- 2.Open Blender on an empty scene.
- 3.Select File>Import>GLTF 2.0 and then select the .glb file you downloaded.
- 4.Wait for the import to complete and the model to appear in your Blender scene.
- 5.(Optional) Due to the changes in glTF importer in Blender, you might need to export the model from Blender to glTF first, using the glTF Separate (.gltf + .bin + textures) option, and re-import that glTF into an empty Blender scene before continuing.
- 6.Select File/Export/FBX. The Blender File View window opens.
- 7.Notice the Operator Presets on the right.
- 8.Adjust them as shown in the FBX Export Settings below.
Operator Presets for FBX export settings.
The following instructions assume that your current FBX export settings are the Blender Operator Defaults.
Importing the exported FBX straight from Blender into Unreal Engine and trying to use the
RP_Mixamo_Skeletonwill cause an error labeled "FAILED TO MERGE BONES".
Before you import your FBX file into Unreal Engine, you must upload the exported FBX to Mixamo and then download it again. This is because Mixamo applies modifications to the skeleton structure/transforms that make it compatible with the Mixamo animation library.
Without this step, there will be UE import errors that make the FBX file incompatible with the Ready Player Me reference skeleton and animation blueprint.
- 2.Click Upload Character and upload the avatar FBX you have exported from Blender.
- 3.Follow the prompts until you see your model in the 3D preview.
- 4.Click Download.
Drag the FBX into your project, adjust FBX Import Options, then Import.
- Set the Skeleton to use
- Under Advanced, check Import Morph targets if you require them.
- Under Miscellaneous, check Convert Scene Unit to ensure the mesh is imported at the correct scale.
If you don't see Import Morph Targets, click the small triangle
below the skeleton to expand the Mesh section.